If you live in Pennsylvania, PECO Energy Co., the state’s largest utility, offers a slew of online tools and calculators that can help you determine how much energy you’re using and how much money you’re spending to heat and cool your home.
PECO’s Smart Ideas website offers tools for calculating ways to save money on your monthly utility bills for nine critical areas:
- A heating comparison between heat pump, natural gas, fuel oil and propane systems
- A gas heat conversion tool that calculates savings when customers convert from oil, propane or electric resistance heat to natural gas
- A heater efficiency calculator for comparing the costs of natural gas heating systems of various efficiencies
- A water heater calculator that examines the costs of natural gas water heating systems of various efficiencies
- A heating/cooling estimator that can show you how much you’ll spend each month of the year on heating and cooling costs based on things like the size of your home, the efficiency of your system and average thermostat settings
- An appliance calculator that determines the annual electricity use and electricity costs of running all sorts of home appliances and electronics, from televisions to refrigerators to ceiling fans and everything in between
- A television tool that calculates the costs of running specific types of televisions, including tube, DLP, LCD and plasma models
- A lighting calculator that tells you how much money you can save each month by replacing all your home’s incandescent light blubs with compact fluorescent light blubs (CFLs)
- A thermostat settings tool that uses all sorts of variable information to calculate how much money you can save every year on heating and cooling costs by switching from your old manual thermostat to a programmable thermostat
The website also offers a section on programs and rebates for qualifying energy efficiency upgrades to help you figure out how to maximize your energy efficiency dollars.
PECO Smart Ideas website, “Tools & Calculators.”