If you’re a residential electricity customer of Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE) and you have an old refrigerator or freezer you’re thinking about ditching, the utility has an offer that just might help you make your decision.
BGE, through its Smart Energy Savers Program, is willing to swing by your home, pick up your unwanted refrigerator or freezer, recycle it, and give you $50 for your trouble.
According to the utility, more than 95 percent of each refrigerator and freezer is recycled by the program, which means that less than 5 percent of each appliance makes its way into a landfill. Plus, BGE says that you can cut your annual energy use by about $100 if you get rid of that second refrigerator or freezer in your garage or basement.
If you’re interested in taking advantage of BGE’s refrigerator and freezer recycling program, here are a few things you should know:
- Regardless of whether you buy your electricity from BGE or an alternative Baltimore electricity supplier like Spark Energy, BGE must be the company that delivers your electricity and you must have a valid BGE account number
- You must own the refrigerator or freezer
- Appliances must have a capacity of between 10 and 27 cubic feet
- The appliance must work
- The appliance will be picked up at the address listed on your BGE billing account for no charge
- You can have up to two appliances recycled through the program
- You’ll get a check for $50 for each appliance recycled; checks will be mailed to your billing account address within four weeks of the time your appliance is picked up
To recycle a refrigerator or freezer through BGE’s Smart Energy Savers Program, you can call the utility at 866.898.1901 to schedule a pickup.
Refrigerator and Freezer Recycling, BGE Smart Energy Savers Program.